Embrace the Adventure: Campervanning with Kids in New Zealand
Are you prepared for the ultimate family escapade? Your trusty sidekick, Camper4Hire, based in the vibrant heart of Auckland, New Zealand, is here to turn your family vacation into an unforgettable adventure. With our roomy campervans, get ready to roll into the wild landscapes and hidden gems of this captivating country!
Travelling in a campervan with kids offers a unique and enriching Bonding experience for the whole family. Here are some reasons to consider this mode of travel:
1. Flexibility and Freedom:
With a campervan, you have the freedom to go wherever the road takes you and have breaks whenever needed. There’s no need to stick to a rigid itinerary, allowing you to explore at your own pace. Kids are hungry yet again? No problem with your rolling kitchen.
2. Quality Family Bonding Time:
A campervan provides a cozy, shared space where you can bond over meals, games, and stories, creating cherished memories that will last a lifetime – There’s no escape to individual rooms here!
3. Access to Nature:
New Zealand’s breathtaking natural beauty is at your doorstep. Wake up to the sound of birdsong, and enjoy the splendor of lakes, forests, and coastlines right outside your window. Let the kids play in muddy puddles or build sandcastles outside while you prepare dinner and just sit back with a book.
Travelling in a self contained campervan eliminates the need for multiple hotel bookings and dining expenses, making it a budget-friendly option for families. Check out our other Blog Posts for some of our favourite freedom camping sites.
5. No constant packing and unpacking:
We love the fact that you have everything right there and don’t need to unpack in a hotel every night and try to fit it all back into the bags the next morning.
Tips for an Unforgettable Family Campervan Experience
1. Plan Ahead, but Stay Flexible:
While it’s essential to have a rough itinerary, be open to spontaneous detours and discoveries along the way. Some of the best experiences come from unplanned adventures.
2. Pack Smart:
When traveling as a family, it’s crucial to pack wisely as space is limited. To ensure that you are not constantly moving things around from A to B, pack in collapsible bags and find a designated space for everything. Limit the amount of clothes you bring and plan a stay at a commercial campsite with a laudnromat every couple of days to wash clothes.
3. Entertainment for the Road:
Keep the kids engaged during the journey with games, books, colouring books and their favorite music or audiobooks. All of our campervans have a TV and DVD Player with USB and HDMI connection as well as a DVD collection. This will make the road trip part of the adventure itself.
4. Snacks and Refreshments:
Stock up on snacks and drinks. Having a selection of munchies readily available will help keep everyone satisfied between meals.
5. Hire the biggest camper possible:
Honestly, we cannot image travelling as a family of 4 in a small transit van where you have to put the beds away before you can sit down to eat. And imagine all the stuff to store! If you want a relaxing time without tripping over each other, get the biggest camper possible.
6. Hire a campervan with a toilet:
Not having to find a public toilet when the little needs to suddenly go to the toilet “super urgent”, no smelly long drops or getting out of the camper in the middle of the night – believe me, it’s worth it!
7. Be prepared not to travel very far most days:
Are we there yet??? I am hungry!! If your kids are anything like ours, then two hours drive are all we can do most days without loosing our sanity.
8. For younger kids, plan driving time around their nap:
Most kids sleep really well while driving, so when the kids were little we usually planned any longer drives during their nap time – 2 hours of peaceful driving while the little one is asleep in the car seat – bliss!!
What to Bring When Traveling with Infants & Young Kids
– Comfort items (blankets, stuffed animals).
– Baby carrier or sling for hikes and walks.
– Travel crib or portable bed – this can be placed in the dinette area over the converted seating area – alternatively consider bringing a breastfeeding pillow to put in front of the bed to avoid littles ones rolling out (we are happy to provide you with one if needed). All high beds also do have a safety net.
– A portable highchair (we do have one available for you if needed).
– 12v powered or USB powered bottle warmer.
What to Bring When Traveling with Kids & Teenagers
– Outdoor gear for hiking, biking, or water activities.
– Entertainment options like books, board games, or a portable gaming device.
– Chargers and adapters for electronic devices.
– Snorkeling gear for exploring coastal areas.
– USB Laptop Charger.
– If you don’t want to say goodbye to the online distractions, get a Wifi Router or hire it from us.
– A ball for outside and shovels are always a favourite to bring in our house.
– Don’t forget a swim ring or blow up mattress for some water fun.
Some ideas on Making the Family Adventure more Fun
– Convert the dining area into a large bed and snuggle up for a movie night
– Turn up the music and take turns doing a dance off in the campervan aisle
– Get a cheap litte charcoal BBQ (can be found at Mitre10 or Bunnings) and roast Marshmallows over the fire
– Prepare a Road Bingo where you tick off everything that you see on your drive. Whoever gets Bingo first, gets to choose the music or movie.
– Build a fort. Throw some blankets over the dining area and put some pillow in. The little ones will love it.
Which Camper is the right one for your family?
For families with a baby or infant we recommend Nelly as Nelly has a low bed right by the kitchen, which means bubs can have some tummy time or roll around and still be within reach while you are cooking or hanging out in the dining area (don’t forget to put a few pillows or a breastfeeding pillow in the front to prevent rolling down).
For families with 2 kids we recommend Sammy as it has two equal sized bunk beds in the back and two seating areas. We usually leave one of the seating area into a sofa to hang out during the day and still have space to sit and eat as a family.
For families with 3 or 4 kids we recommend Carly or Harry as they have a large bed above the driver cabin that can easily sleep 3 smaller kids or two teenagers, the rear top bed is a small double bed for the parents and a large single bed underneath for another child. So with 5 kids you won’t have to make up any beds in the evening and still have a space to sit while the kiddies (hopefully) sleep.
For families with a pram or other large items like paddleboards we recomment Bobby as Bobby has a large storage area under the rear bed.
Book Your Family Adventure with Camper4Hire Now
At Camper4Hire, we’re dedicated to ensuring your family’s campervanning experience is not only memorable but also hassle-free. Our 6 berth campervans are equipped with all the amenities you need for a comfortable journey.
Book your campervan adventure here and embark on a journey filled with adventure, discovery, and quality family time. Explore New Zealand like never before, and create a treasure trove of memories with your loved ones. We can’t wait to welcome you on board!